Sunday, August 10, 2008

Meringue Toppers...

This is an old recipe of my Mom's. It's always been a hit whenever I have served it. I make it now with milk chocolate chips and I like it better. That has been only in recent years that I have tried that version. Semi sweet chips is what the original recipe called for. This has to be made with solid Crisco and not butter or margarine. I have tried them both and the cookie part crumbles easily. For thicker meringue, I separate a second egg for my meringue instead of one. I don't usually save that egg yolk. Try this recipe, I think you'll like it. Enjoy!





Sift together:
1 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2.tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Cream together:
1/2 C. shortening ( Crisco)
1/4 C. sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar

Add:
1 egg, separated
1 1/2 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Meringue:
egg white
1/2 C. brown sugar

1/2 pkg. (12oz.) chocolate chips. (semi sweet or milk chocolate)

Sift together first four ingredients.
Cream shortening and sugars until creamy.
Add egg yolk,water and vanilla.
Mix well.

Spray lightly with Pam. Pat dough into11x8x2 baking dish. press chocolate chips evenly and firmly, single layer into the dough.

Beat egg white until stiff. If you would like more meringue use a second egg white. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup brown sugar. Spread over chocolate chips.

Bake @375 degrees for 25 minutes.


1 comment:

Darcy said...

These are one of my favorites!!