Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rice Krispie Cookies...

I found a new cookie recipe today while I was looking for another recipe. I should be putting all my old recipes back on Patty's pantry, but the thought of all those recipes...well, it will get done eventually. If there is a recipe you saw here and it's gone, leave a comment and I will put that one up sooner than later! I found this recipe in my Dutch cookbook, Get Smakelijk. I'll tell you about that cookbook another time.

I had my youngest granddaughter today for a few hours so we baked. That's what we do when any of the girls come to Gramma's house. It gives us time together and gives me a chance to teach them little things, and they love it.. Some day hopefully, they will remember baking in the kitchen with me, just as I remember doing with my Grandma.

Back to this recipe...it is delicious and the picture doesn't do it justice. The brown sugar really gives it a different taste. The cereal gives it crunch and the oatmeal and coconut make them chewy. It makes 5 dozen 2 inch cookies. Don't over bake these little gems or they will turn out hard. In my oven 11 minutes was just about right.
My four year old liked them so....they aren't just a cookie for grown ups! Enjoy!

1 C. shortening, Crisco
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C. rolled oats
2 C. Rice Krispies, I used Target's brand
1 C. coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together shortening and sugars.

Beat in eggs and vanilla.

Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture.

Stir in oats, cereal, and coconut.

Drop by teaspoonfuls (I used a cookie scoop) on a greased cookie sheet. I used Pam. Bake 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

Kristen Reyna said...

Hi Patty!
I so enjoyed reading this blog. It reminds me so much of time with my family, flipping through Taste of Home looking for new recipes. I will certainly be back!
With HOPE,
Kristen

Darcy said...

These cookies were SOOOO good!