Friday, August 15, 2008

Hash Brown Quiche...


This is a Paula Deen recipe but I got it from my daughter, who had it on a camp out with friends. I must say, I may never make pie crust for the crust again for most of my quiche recipes. This wasn't soggy, the flavor was great..my husband loved it. I used pre diced ham in a package and there was enough for two meals in it. So I put the rest in a Ziplock freezer bag and it will be here when I make this again. I will definately make this again..it's good enough for company!

3 cups, shredded frozen hash browns, thawed and drained
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup half-and-half ( I used 2% milk)
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
1-2 diced green onions
1 cup shredded Cheddar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Gently press the drained hash browns between paper towels to dry them as best as possible.
In a 9-inch pie plate, toss the hash browns with the melted butter into the plate.
Press them into the bottom and up the sides to form a crust.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and starting to crisp. It took about 40 minutes for my crust to get golden brown and crisp. Maybe an extra tablespoon of butter would have helped.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
When the hash brown crust is ready pour the egg mixture over it and return to the oven.
Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for about 30 minutes until the quiche is light golden brown on top and puffed.

1 comment:

a portland granny said...

What a yummy recipe!! I can hardly wait to try it. I'm thinking about having a birthday brunch for several of my friends who have Aug/Sept. birthdays. I think that would be splendid to serve.

I have wanted to do something fancy for quite a while. My back often stops me dead in my tracks! I love to use the china and set the table beautifully. I think this would be easy and fairly quick--I'll dish up in the kitchen and serve it already on the plates with some fruit and scones.

Thank for sharing this recipe.

Joan