Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grandma's Date Pinwheel Cookies...

This was my Grandma's recipe. She made these the size of cinnamon rolls. They were her trademark specialty cookie. This was my Mom's favorite cookies during the holidays and each year I made her a huge tin full. I like to make them any time of year, it just so happens I wanted to use up some dates that I had and these were what came to mind this week.

I cook my dates before making the dough. This gives them a chance to cool down before I start my dough. if my dough sits while the dates are cooking and cooling, it tends to dry out and crumble when you roll into the pinwheel log.

Dough:
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. white sugar
1 C. shortening
3 eggs, beaten
4 C. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt


Date Filling:
1 pound of dates, chopped
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. water

Mix dough and on a lightly floured surface roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
You can divide the dough into 2 equal parts for smaller cookies.

In the top of a double boiler, bring date mixture to a boil.
Let cool.

Spread dates over the top of dough and spread evenly. I roll these out on wax paper, then I just roll the dough by pulling them over into a log by pulling the wax paper away... it's much easier this way. Roll like tightly like a jelly roll.

Wrap the rolls in wax paper and chill over night.
Cut into slices and bake at 375 degrees until light golden. Don't over bake, a nice light golden brown will produce a chewy cookie.

No comments: