Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blonde Brownies...

This is an old recipe of my Mom's. I don't think I have made it for years, so I made a double batch of these this week and I was reminded how good they are! I didn't have anything except mini chocolate chips, so I used them. I think it worked out well. I only used a half of a package.

I may have over baked these by 5 minutes, I got distracted when the timer went off. I doubled the recipe and used a 12x9 cake pan. There is a lot of brown sugar in this recipe...but they are oh, so good!




1 C. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 C. nuts, chopped

1/3 C. butter or shortening
1 C. brown sugar, firmly packed

1 egg. slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

To sifted flour add baking powder, soda and salt. Sift again. Add nuts.

Melt shortening in saucepan, remove from heat. Mix in sugar. (Add 1 tsp. hot water if vegetable shortening is used.)

Cool. Stir in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture gradually, mixing well. Spread in greased 9x9x2 inch pan.
Sprinkle chips over top.
Bake 350 degrees 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

Rachel and I were taste testers for these right out of the oven...we can attest...these are awesome!