Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gum Drop Cookies...

I have been making this cookie since 1969. Back then, you could send soldiers who were serving in Vietnam cookies. They had names and addresses in the local paper. My Mom and I would bake batch after batch of these to send off to soldiers serving our country over there. This cookie travels well and stays fresh a long time. At Christmas I use red and green gumdrops. Any other time I use all the colors of gum drops. It's a chewy oatmeal cookie.


Sift together;
2 C. flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Mix in large bowl until light and fluffy;
1 C, shortening
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well.

Fold in;
2 C. oatmeal
2 C. coconut
1/2 C. gum drops, cut in small pieces

Drop by teaspoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

1 comment:

a portland granny said...

I had a similar recipe that I used to send to my brother when he was serving in Korea during the early 1950's. We packed them in 3 pound coffee tins to keep the freshness in.