Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dutch Pea Soup

1 lb. peas1 medium ham hock or ham bone
3 quarts water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 C. diced celery
2 medium onions, cut fine
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
Parsley
1 C. milk
Soak peas overnight completely with cold water. Rinse and drain.Cook meat, peas and water for 2 hours. Remove ham bone. Add the next 5 ingredients and cook 1 hour. Add parsley and milk. Cook 10 more minutes.


Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup

8 C. peeled and cubed potatoes
2 C. peeled and chopped onions
4 C. chopped celery
2 tsp. salt
4 C. water
4 C. half and half
6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 C. grated sharp cheddar Cheese

In a large pot, place potatoes, onions, celery, salt and 4 C. water.Simmer about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.Put in blender and puree until chunky. Or use electric beater.Return to pot and add half and half, butter and cheese. Simmer until hot.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm trying this tonight!

Kim said...

It was yummy, though I confess I doubled the amount of cheese! Before I added the extra cheese it was green. I guess my celery was too green or something?