Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mushroom Barley Soup...

This is one of my favorite soup recipes. It originally came from Taste of Home magazine. I have substituted the one can of beef broth and used two cans of chicken broth instead. I will probably do that from now on.This is a soup that doesn't have to cook all day to taste good. Simmering a couple of hours and it is good to go! It's a hearty soup that everyone that I have served it to, has enjoyed.


1 1/2 pounds stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 C. finely chopped onion
1 C. sliced carrots
1/2 C. sliced celery

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

1 can beef broth, 14 1/2 ounces
1 can chicken broth, 14 1/2 ounces
2 C. water
1/2 C. medium pearl barley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

In a Dutch oven or soup pot, brown meat in oil.
Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Sauté onion, carrots, and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.Add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme, cook and stir for 3 minutes.Add broths, water, barley, salt and pepper.Return meat to pan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2- 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender. Add parsley.

2 comments:

a portland granny said...

This one goes on the shopping list today! It sounds hearty and yummy! Thanks for sharing! I should be a good one to put in small containers for the freezer!

Yum!

a portland granny said...

I made it and posted about it on my website! I love it! Thanks for sharing.